Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Countdown to Asia

I'm getting ready to spend the month of May in Asia:  Singapore first, then a week in Phuket relaxing (hopefully away from the crazy parts) and then to Guangzhou China.

Last week I made arrangements for my visa through a contact 'Frau Ning' here in Munich.  She does everything for you which is nice so you don't have to deal with the Chinese Embassy here (WHY IS THIS SUCH AN ADVANTAGE?!)  Luckily I was able to obtain the necessary 'invitation' from Paulaner Brauhaus in Guangzhou (more on this later).  I'll be joining my husband in these cities while he is training for his (our) new endeavor: restauranteur in the U.S. (I know, totally insane but that's us I guess!)

While at Frau Ning's, she asked me if I knew about the "Chinese acrobatic swans" and she about had me convinced that these were indeed swans doing gymnastics..huh..I thought..  with her "Ya, swans!" smiling face.  And that her niece's father who works for the culture ministry in China runs the show, which of course has travelled all over the world.  Then she shows me the tell-all photo- aha!  Acrobatic Human swan dancers, of course! Like Swan Lake (which is what I first suspected but she kept insisting on real swans...maybe it didn't help that we're both speaking our non-native languages and with pretty strong accents!)  So now I'm sniffing around online to see if maybe, just maybe I could catch this while in Guangzhou, or at least 'stop by' where they train.  But interestingly enough, their official name is not actually the Guangdong Acrobatic Troupe (Guangdong is the province that Guangzhou is in), but they're officially called "Soldier Acrobatic Troupe of the Political Department of Guangzhou Military Region" and is managed by the Chinese Army.  They are all soldiers whose sole job is to perform these amazing acrobatics.  Maybe its best to simply watch..at least catch the gal doing a pirouette on her husband partner's head!  Unbelievable..

So this is my first introduction into Guangzhou!  I can't wait to see and experience the rest of Guangzhou and China..

And to learn more about their current and past performances click here.


It looks like 2 of my art 'colleagues' and I will be able to hold an art exhibit at the Paulaner Brauhaus in Guangzhou too, stay tuned for more on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment